Friday, October 31, 2008

Things that go bump in the night...

Four days until Election Day!

Happy Halloween, y'all!

In honor of Halloween, that day of frights and fears and all things creepy, I bring you...

5 Things That Scare Me!

5. Hook


No, not the cartoon pirate in the pink and red. The 'Hook' that scares me is the one from the live action movie Hook. I first saw it when I was little, and it creeped me out and gave me nightmares. I'm completely a pirate girl now--I don't think I'd shriek at the Seafair Pirates threatening to cut my toes off at a parade anymore ;~)--but the last time I attempted to watch Hook, my little kitten ended up needing to go the vet ER. So no positive associations with that movie. I really need to try watching it again. ;~)

4. The Wolf from Peter and the Wolf


I don't even think I can explain this logically. I actually like wolves now. But the music and the sinisterness and...yeah, it's just scary. ;~) (And this picture is totally the wolf that creeped me out, too!)

3. Snakes


This one I think a lot of people understand. At least, it seems like the vast majority of people are either terrified of snakes or of spiders. I'm a terrified of snakes person. I've gotten...slightly better over the years. I've pet one or two snakes, and I'll admit that some are pretty to look at. And I won't stand on the other side of the room at the zoo anymore if there's a snake there. But I will avoid going anywhere near a snake if I can help it. Creepy slithering creatures. (I do love lizards, though. They're cute. ;~))

2. Bad Grammar


Whether it's the difference between your and you're, who and whom, or an incorrectly punctuated sentence, there is nothing that both annoys me and sends me running for the hills faster than bad grammar. My mum affectionately refers to me as the Grammar Queen. I rarely will correct people in conversation (verbal or written), but it is something I notice and take into account. If you're someone I already know and love, I tend to ignore it. But to everyone else...run, don't walk, to your local bookstore and buy a copy of Eats, Shoots, and Leaves.

1. Obama as President


Oh, I couldn't resist. ;~) Seriously, though, this prospect scares me on several levels. One, that people--especially people my age--are blindly supporting a candidate they know very little about...whether his policies or his personal life. The way he smoothly lies and pulls the wool over everyone's eyes is another thing that really scares me. His standing as the most liberal Senator in the Senate coupled with the fact that he could be President with a same-party majority Congress (meaning that all of their policies could get pushed through without any compromise) scares me. And there are many more things, but if I listed them all, I would be writing an essay and not a blog entry. ;~)

After all those scary things, I have to leave you with a positive note...I handed out candy tonight to Trick or Treaters, and there were a lot of adorable kids! I kept getting a kick out of how many people were in love with our display and carved pumpkins--my mum and I threw together the display in like a half hour tonight, and the pumpkins, while pretty cool looking, weren't anything different from what we normally do. But it seemed like we were the "cool house" on the block this year--with parents stopping their kids to pose in front of our display to take pictures, even! I posed before the trick-or-treaters starting invading, though...


Happy Halloween! Hope everyone had a safe and fun night!

1 comment:

Victoria Lynn said...

Oh the memories of my frightened little girl...crying because of "Hook" or "Peter and the Wolf"! But you're all grown up now! I must say I didn't like the snake, although you did choose a pretty one! And Ombama, well that REALLY scares me! Glad we had such a fun and festive Halloween! Thanks for the memories...
XXOO
Mum