Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Congressional Lesson

Six days until Election Day!

I'm very ambitiously going to try and update my blog every day until Election Day with some sort of political thing to think about.

Today's topic: the three branches of government! Yes, I thought I'd start off with something basic that seems to get overlooked maybe just a little in the Presidential election coverage. ;~)

The three branches of government are...the legislative branch, the executive branch, and the judicial branch. To sum things up: the legislative branch (Congress) makes the laws; the executive branch (the President) carries out the laws; and the judicial branch (the Supreme Court) rules if the laws are constitutional or unconstitutional.

During the Presidential election season, it gets a bit frustrating to hear people blaming our current President for the entire economical crisis. Guess what? There's been a Democratic majority in Congress for the past two years. And according to our Constitution, who makes the laws?

Yes, that's correct. Congress.

For the last few years, people have preferred a Congress of one party and a President of the other. It works well, because the system of checks and balances that were put into place in the Constitution comes into effect, and neither party can run rampant with their ideas--a compromise generally has to be reached.

So when you go to the polls next Tuesday, remember that it's not only the President you're electing to help run the country. Your vote for Congress is just as important.

And that's all I have to say on my little soap box for today. ;~)

1 comment:

Victoria Lynn said...

Very nice lesson...I wish more people in this country could have a little lesson on how things work! You go girl!
Hugs,
Mum