Now we can recognize the popular country songs from the first few bars of the song. Whoops. ;~)
There's one particular country artist that I've known about for years--thanks to my sister-cousin Maya, who insisted that I attend the county fair concert of this artist one summer long ago. The artist was Brad Paisley, and he's definitely one of my favorite country artists now. One of his current songs is called "Letter to Me"--the idea being that it's a letter sent back to the artist at the age of 17. I love the music video--it shows Brad's real life classmates at a class reunion, among other things--and I was tickled to find this meme, which challenges you to write your own 17-year-old self a letter. So here I go...
SEND A LETTER BACK TO YOURSELF AT 17
PROVE IT'S YOU- instead of spending 20 minutes reading during Calculus, you always nap. And you always skip the pep rallies, even though technically you don't have permission to leave campus.
I KNOW IT'S TOUGH- studying and earning good grades, but never getting the scholarships. Keep applying...you'll get a few.
WHEN YOU GET A DATE- don't be afraid to tell him what you want to do. Even if that means you end up going to your prom alone.
EACH AND EVERY TIME- you wake up at 5:30 in the morning, know that it's the last year you have to wake up that early. I promise.
YOU SHOULD REALLY THANK- Ms. Denis, all the rest of your English teachers, Mr. Hudiburg, and oh yes--Mum. Because Mum is always there for you. :~)
TONIGHT'S THE BONFIRE RALLY BUT YOU'RE STAYING HOME INSTEAD BECAUSE- sadly, there's never been a Bonfire Rally in the area, but if there was one, I'm sure you'd be curled up at home with a nice book and a cat.
YOU'VE GOT SO MUCH UP AHEAD- lots of studying, lots of friends, and a lot of unexpected turns, but you become a much stronger woman because of it all.
YOU SHOULD SEE- the original novel sitting on your computer, waiting to be edited. Yes. You wrote a book!
I WISH YOU'D STUDY- Anatomy, because you're certainly studying a lot of it now.
I WISH YOU'D TAKE- a few more drama classes, because you'd be surprised at how outgoing you can be if pushed. And drama would have been fun, too.
END BY SAYING- enjoy your life--you really are only seventeen once--and enjoy everything you're learning. The political class is still serving you well. And you're more popular than you think you are.
And for fun, a pic of my 17-year-old self:

7 comments:
That's right! Our best years are yet to come starting with the next year! And yes, I'm waiting to read the first draft of your novel!! And, yeah, I'm so proud of you and the woman you have become! I love you.
PS: I'm posting at 4:34 AM BECAUSE I CAN!! Now go to bed!
That was a wonderful read! Rachel you are so smart and mature for being so young...my brains were all jelly like at 22! Love you so much,
OM
Donna Lynn
Hi, Rachel, I comment back & forth with your mom alot b/c I live where you are moving! Let me tell you one scandalous thing about me: I don't like country music. I've lived here for 35 years & have only been to the Grand Ole Opry once. There's a lot more to TN than country. ha, ha. Luv yr blog.
Nerm
Hi sweet thing, hope you are feeling better today! The kitties were sad you weren't feeling well. Just think of Friday and shopping! Or Alki Beach and fish & chips! YUM! XXOO
Hi Rachel~
This is such a cool idea. You are a fun girl, I can tell, and you come by it honestly. Your mom and I always had lots of fun times when we were teenagers and young folks. I'm glad she has you to keep her young always!!
I like your blog...great music too.
Love~ Annie
I invite you to visit www.PowerUpLove.com a community of real people sharing real stories about how Love has really impacted and changed their lives.
Post a Comment